Friday, August 14, 2009

40 years, Woodstock nostalgia

That year, 1969, was my last summer in college, a couple months after I met my future husband. He joined a rock-and-roll band, and they had a house-band gig that summer in Fort Worth. I remember seeing a guy in the parking lot at my apartment complex in Austin shouting up at me, "Hey I'm going to Woodstock!" I wasn't; I was headed to Fort Worth.

We were 20, the perfect age for that Woodstock moment. Fairly innocent, still children, technically. Yes, boys and girls, the voting age was 21 then.

Both of us loved the 1930s era. The fashions, the cars, travel by ship, movies from then. He read Fitzgerald. I enjoyed Hemingway outside of class. That bygone era was so romantic.

Who could imagine feeling that way about our era? Not us at the time. And now it's happened.

So here's a link to a cheesy icon of the era. Tie-dye. A cheesy how-to video that's not really tie-dying.

I never wore tie-dye t-shirts back then. Too cheesy. I wear one now for nostalgia, because my son made it at Yearly Meeting 15 years ago.

Lord have mercy! Amazon has a 3-tape set of VHS videos, "Learn How to Tie Dye". At least it's not done by Martha.

Here's a how-to video a girl put up online, 17 minutes. Hope it's good. I'll see it next week when it finishes downloading on dial-up. Waiting for a part for my DSL. Being patient, like Job.

1 comment:

  1. If they'd had YouTube in the 60s, my tie-dyed shirts wouldn't have come out looking like someone threw up on them.

    cath

    ReplyDelete