Friday, July 24, 2009

cops gone wild, in Fort Worth, in Cambridge

My absence from the blogosphere is caused by my struggle with a local issue with wide repercussions in civil rights. The cops and the TABC and the gays and the bar raid here.

It happened a month ago at the Rainbow Lounge in Fort Worth. It was gay bashing. Literally. At almost the same hour as the original riot-provoking raids at the Stonewall Inn 40 years before. Go figure.

Click on their webpage above and go to their site. A letter from the chief is front and center. Click and read. Gee, they look like nice people. They're my neighbors. Well, not literally, but I should love them just the same, even if I don't know them. So I do. And I really love my gay neighbors because I do know them.

I want to rant and rave and blog about it--and the healing that's started in the aftermath. But now the cops in Cambridge are the ones being hit with an ugly stick. They are looking bad ugly, after arresting Henry Louis Gates. Again, both sides probably involved men behaving badly. Both sides. Bad bad behavior.

Let's check the Cambridge cops' website. Nice pix. Nice-looking folks also.

Nice badges. Click the photos to go to their webpage.
And see the top item on their page--the press release about their peccadillo. At least nobody went to the hospital. This time.

Serving the public as a cop is a horrible difficult dangerous job. I wish we could fully staff the force without attracting the folks who want to be cops for all the worst reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment