Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Fit #2: invisible cities...

...in Tarrant County, Texas.

Arlington
My local rag had a good editorial about that new stadium in Arlington--Jerry's World. Seems that last weekend during the inaugural dry run (or is it dry heave since the concert was by George Strait*), they kept calling it Dallas.
"But why did some of the entertainers welcome the 60,000-member audience to Dallas? Why did the announcer welcome them to Texas Stadium, the home the Cowboys left, which is in Irving?"
Stadium = in Arlington. Arlington = in Tarrant County.
Dallas = in Dallas County.
New stadiumin Dallas. http://stadium.dallascowboys.com/

*Get ready for more gagging. The next act in Cowboys Stadium is the Jonas Brothers.

Fort Worth
Same thing last year, coming back from a trip to the east--where most people still believe there IS an edge to the earth and it happens somewhere east of the Mississippi--I heard this nonsense from a pilot and a stewardess.

Yes, I know she's a flight attendant, but we were both old enough to remember when she was a stewardess. The pilot kept announcing we were headed for Dallas, ETA Dallas, weather in Dallas, blah blah Dallas. We weren't; we were heading to DFW Airport.
D = Dallas, FW = Fort Worth.
DFW Airport = Dallas-Fort Worth Airport.

As I "deplaned" I told her how relieved I was that the pilot mentioned both cities finally as we landed. "Because I'm going home--to Fort Worth. Until then, I thought I was on the wrong plane, headed for Love Field" (in Dallas, code DAL). She vapidly said, "Oh yeah, Southwest is there and some others now? American?"

Yeah, Love. That's the field in Dallas.


No comments:

Post a Comment